Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Knocked Off Track - Temporarily

I'm back at work this morning, but it's so easy to get sidetracked by life's interruptions.  For example, on Sunday, my husband and I both decided we needed our own personal day of rest, so we slept in, ate breakfast in bed while reading the Sunday Tribune, then walked and window-shopped at a nearby outdoor mall, drinking in the cool breezes, the summer blooms and the purchasing public.

Sometimes, these distractions can help your writing.  I'm always looking at strangers as possible characters for my next story.  Same with settings.  Overheard remarks are sometimes written down for future use as well.  But, it's also good just to get away from your latest computer page that is staring back at you.

And then came Monday.  I won't give you the details of what knocked my creative side amok, but suffice it to say, it was unexpected and put a wrench into our already complicated financial life.  In the last two years, we have experienced more than our fair share of problems in that respect; our whole family has.  Due to having creative vocations that are not rewarded during a blinding recession, such as the one we're still recovering from, fianancial stability has become an unknown entity.  In this stage of my life, that can be even more unnerving - as it was yesterday.

My saving grace, however, is that I am married to a man who always sees the rainbow after the rain.  His words of comfort and purpose yesterday were right on the mark, and emphasized why we are such perfect partners.  So, we have regrouped and, with unflappable resolve, we are back at our creative pursuits today. 

I know I wouldn't be so positive today were it not for the most special person in my life who takes on whatever challenge confronts him and seeks a solution.  In the process, he gives me strength and sets me back on a realistic, rather than a doomsday, path.  By day's end, I viewed the pinkish sunset from my study window and took it as an additional sign that we would weather this newest challenge together - we always have.

No comments:

Post a Comment