Friday, June 15, 2018

Love Being A Wordsmith

My title today is sincere; there is nothing I enjoy more than weaving words in a way that keeps readers reading. I don't pretend to be the best at it, but since the definition of wordsmith, according to Webster, is "a person who works with words", I can honestly call myself one.

Last week, R.J. and I announced the title of our next Walt Disney World book: Imagination And Dreams Are Forever. It occurred to me, as I was deciding on a topic for this blog, that our followers might be curious about why we chose it.

It is a reference to a quote attributed to Walt Disney, and those two words, Imagination and Dreams are ones that relate to 1) what Walt wanted his theme park to be about, and 2) what our lives have been as a result of our inclusion into his World.

Looking up the two words in my most used text, Oxford American Writer's Thesaurus, I discovered those two words have many, many different meanings. That makes our title even more perfect, I think. Let me list a few of the varied definitions.

Imagination: creativity, vision, resourcefulness, originality, innovation, curiosity, passion, interest, fascination. (I also keep hearing the song Figment sings in The Journey To Imagination attraction at Epcot - I'm not certain I have the lyric totally correct, but it goes something like: "Imagination. A dream can be a dream come true; it all starts with me and you.")

Dream: fantasy, daze, aspiration, hope, aim, objective, intention, desire, wish, yearning, contemplate, create, romantic, ideal. (Another lyric enters my head - from Walt Disney's Cinderella: "A dream is a wish your heart makes.")

Our work-in-progress not only covers many of those descriptive synonyms; our life together has, and will always be filled with examples of them all. We don't plan to ever stop dreaming, or imagining, and we've adopted another line from a more recent song lyric - from the award-winning, film, La La Land: "Here's to the ones who dream, foolish though they may seem." That's us to a "T" - and we wouldn't want it any other way!

No comments:

Post a Comment