Thursday, August 19, 2010

Still At It!

With my concentration totally focused on finishing my book, I hope I haven't lost all the readers of my blog.  I could understand that happening, when I've only made one entry in nearly two months.  But I'm praying there's still some out there reading this who will empathize with my harried schedule and my unwavering dedication to finishing this book and hang in there with me.

Back in June, I did a post called Back At It.  Well, for you loyal followers, I'm still at it!  Those last 150 pages are now the last 65 pages, and the road is harrowing!  I've done much more re-writing than anticipated.  I'm pleased with those rewrites, but they spark even more rewriting because the final chapters of my book are changing considerably.  Not the basic story, but the characters, the dialogue, the way I let the reader in on the last pieces of the plot puzzle. 

All of this takes time: time to edit the old work, time to re-plot, re-organize and lay out just how each and every detail must fit, make sense, and be intriguing to a reader.  In doing all this, I'm growing as a writer.  I'm getting better at self-editing and, in reading my revised chapters to my writing group, I've gained insight into some important character points that still escaped me and, when corrected, strengthened the work.

So, I'm back on my blog again - seriously.  I think writers might gain some tips on how to revise.  My non-writer readers will know I'm still alive and working.  And I will regain the discipline of getting up several  mornings a week to post here.  I owe that to those who have stuck with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment