Friday, October 20, 2017

"I'm Working On It"

I suppose the correct title for this blog should be, "WE'RE working on it" because the words refer to the new Disney book R.J. and I are in the process of writing. But it really is just me at the moment.

That's because R.J. is really busy, creating lots of commission paintings just now, so I am reading, researching, and notating, in preparation for us actually putting words on the computer screen, and getting this done by next spring.

For those who don't know, we have been asked by our publisher, Theme Park Press, to pen a book about the history of Walt Disney World, from our unique perspective. That will include stories from other WDW cast members, as well as new tales from us. The book will begin with Walt's ideas for a Florida project, and continue to present day. 

The title for the book is: It Will Always Be WALT Disney World. It was Walt's brother, Roy, who was determined that WDW be a living legacy to Walt's creativity and genius, and that will be the theme throughout.

It is nostalgic to thumb though old newspapers, magazines, and Disney publications as I'm organizing our chapters and making notes. Some writers find this process tedious, but this part always gets my creative brain juices percolating. I'm rediscovering so many facts, moments in time and memories that the hardest part is deciding how to keep it fun for our readers, rather than making it just a textbook about the building and growth of the Parks.

R.J. is just as eager as I am to see this one come to fruition, and we don't want to disappoint those who have given us such positive reviews about our previous Disney books. We know this one will be  unique from the others, but we will be certain it is done with our personal style.

So, if you're wondering what the "Disney Ogrens" are doing on any given work day, just picture R.J. in his studio, at his easel, painting away. Meanwhile, upstairs I am in my study, surrounded by papers and books spread about, with note cards in stacks on my desk as I fill legal pads with chapter ideas. And I'll keep you updated on our progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment