Monday, March 16, 2009

A Writer's Inspiration

Writing is a lonely business. First of all, unless you're John Grisham or Nora Roberts, no one is really too impressed when you say you're a writer. Or you get the question: "Would I know anything you've written?"

I've been a published writer for over thirty years. I've had bylines (for those who don't know, a byline is having your name under the title of an article in print). You may have read something I wrote and not know it. I'm not famous, I'm certainly not rich, and I don't see myself enjoying either of those life experiences in the future. So, many ask; why do I do it? And how do I keep finding inspiration to motivate me to continue?

The answer to the first question is easy - if you are a writer, you know this one already - writers just have to write. I tell young people interested in my profession: if you always have something in your head that just has to be put on paper, then you're a writer. I have so many of those ideas in my head. I'm sure I won't live long enough to create all that I want to write. It's just part of you.

The answer to the second question is more complex. Subjects are plentiful, certainly, and by reading and observing, I fill notebooks and folders with ideas scribbled on legal pads, articles clipped from magazines and newspapers that spark ideas, and notations of research locations or travel possibilities provide lots of possible topics.

But, being a writer means there's no one to prod you to get on with it, or give you that first line that gets the work flowing. There are lots of motivation avenues to traverse, and each writer has his own pulse point. Mine has been jump-started of late by my writing group. Not only do I get some great constructive criticism about works in progress from the members, but sharing each of our own individual journeys to publication is a perfect path to new inspiration. One person is learning from a writing course, another is querying agents, and a third is working on turning a short story into a novel. It might mean I turn to the internet to research one of their inspirational journeys and that leads to a journey of my own. Or just listening to what is getting them excited gives me new impetus to keep going on a project I've previously set aside.

It's easy to get off the track, especially when writing isn't the main way you find financial security. So many daily obstacles can obscure your road to completion. But, if you're a real writer, you make the time - mine is usually early in the morning or late at night when I'm not interrupted by the routines of the day - and you keep plugging. Because you know you have something to say that someone else will want to read. And you have others, like my writing group members, who motivate and make me believe that what I'm writing is good enough to be read by others. And that idea in my head just has to go through my fingers on the keyboard to the printed page; I have to see it. The bigget motivation is seeing my words on the page, and knowing I have many more to create.

No comments:

Post a Comment