Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Independence Day Revisited

It was troubling to hear that, according to a recent media poll, only 58% of those questioned could identify the year the Colonies declared their independence from England.  And many did not know what country we broke away from!  I could do a lengthy blog on my frustrations with the education system but that's not the focus of this post.  I do find it an upsetting statistic, however.

This most recent July 4th found my husband and I (and our daughter-in-law, Sande) viewing a local parade, waiting for the appearance of our son, Sean, and his son, Fletcher.  They were riding one of the last floats in the parade.. Sean recently portrayed John Adams in a theatre production of "1776", so he had donned his costume and wig for this appearance, and Fletch wore a shirt, vest and cap that reminded me of a 1930's waif; he was adorable.  They both happily waved and called out to the crowd; Fletch loving the spotlight as he usually does.  That moment spoke to me about what this day means; about freedom, and family, and the many reasons we have to be thankful for where we find ourselves, despite our hard times.

But it also brought to mind again the nights that I sat in the audience, watching Sean and his fellow actors (including my husband, R.J.) recreate the lives of the men responsible for our Declaration of Independence.  I was cheered by the positive reactions of the audience, including their standing ovations at the end of the play.  I wondered what percentage of them were learning history as they sat there.  It gave more than inner pride for my son's talents as the lead character.  It brought me joy and satisfaction to realize that this entertainment venue, with its first class production values, was giving those patrons a glimpse into all the reasons we should feel proud and strong on every July 4th.

If you've never seen "1776" onstage, you've missed something.  And I'm sorry you couldn't have seen my son as John Adams because he captured the role brilliantly.  But, if you're curious about this drama and you can't find a production of it being done, rent the movie.  It stars some of the original cast from Broadway, and is similarly moving.  I defy you not to feel national pride after viewing it.  And, should you know some young people who aren't schooled in the beginnings of our national history, have them view it with you.  Sean grew up with that movie, and always wanted to be part of its cast.  When he and R.J. (who has acted in two previous productions as well as this one) were chosen to be onstage together in this one, it was a dream come true for them both. And the memory of it will always be a cherished part of our family history.

Yes, it's personal pride I've been talking about, but it's also national pride.  And this play, first created over thirty years ago, is one of the best ways I know to instill a sense of that kind of pride in anyone.    

No comments:

Post a Comment