Friday, January 5, 2018

Back To Work - With Time Off for Renewal

My husband and I reveled in the non-working days we spent between Christmas and New Years. Even though we did have some much needed time off the first week of December, we had come back to face a stressful two weeks of work and obligations.

We love what we do, but even so, we have learned that it's really crucial to reward ourselves with renewal time on a regular basis. Whether that means taking a trip, as we did a month ago, or just spending a week with no agenda, no commitments (other than a relaxing evening with a friend or two), and just enjoying doing fun things together.

This past Tuesday, we returned to our respective work spaces; R.J. to his sunlit studio, his easel and laptop, and me to my cozy little study upstairs, surrounded by so many visual reminders of friends and family, my accomplishments, and my goals - all of it never fails to rekindle my positive spirit, and make me smile. Being self-employed requires one to be self-motivated as well, and being in my study always achieves that.

So, even though we have a full agenda for 2018, R.J. and I have a strong resolve to "give ourselves a break" on a regular timetable. That can mean not working weekends, for example, but it can be as simple as spending a day together doing something just for us.

Tomorrow will be one of those days: it is my birthday, and I can't think of a better time to be with my best friend - my husband.  My suggestions for the day are not scheduled; we'll just enjoy being together, wherever we happen to be.

I guess what I'm try to say is that I highly recommend giving yourself permission to "escape". Whether that involves a planned trip, a relaxing way to celebrate, or just a spur of the moment thing, you won't regret it - and I guarantee you'll be better for it - truly.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment