Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Christmas Creative

As I've written in earlier blogs, being creative has many upsides. Currently, however, there's been a downside. Our family is one of millions facing an extreme budget crunch which doesn't leave much for buying Christmas gifts.

We've talked about our inabilities to purchase wish list items for everyone, and we're certainly in agreement about it. Still, the memories of Christmas have always included the time spent around the tree on Christmas morning enjoying the delight of opening presents. I decided that I still wanted that experience, so I had to get creative in a new way.

My husband and I have both been busy with projects to exchange that I feel will be more appreciated than expensive gifts we could purchase. It requires more thought and a little more time but I'm finding that the experience is stretching my imagination and brightening my mood. Even our grandsons have gotten into the act making their own gifts. I can't relate the details of these personal gifts that will soon be wrapped and placed under our tree because that would give away the surprises to the family members who read my blog. The details will be a topic for later. For now, suffice it to say that instead of being depressed about what I can't put under the tree for each person, I'm elated about how much a little effort on my part results in a deeper appreciation for what I am able to give.

I am thankful that we'll all be together this holiday, that we all have a warm roof to sleep under each night, and we're all well. I'm even more thankful for the values that were taught to me long ago. It really isn't about how much a gift costs; it's about what you give of yourself to someone you love and who loves you in return. I really believe that our gift exchange this year will be one we'll all remember more than any other.

No comments:

Post a Comment