Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Friend Connections

The hands of the clock whirl around ever faster for me these days. This is a puzzlement because, with all the attendant gadgets we have in our world today - called timesavers - we're supposed to have more time for for what we want to do rather than what we have to do. Yet I constantly find myself wishing for more leisure time to connect with my friends.

I do make use of technical, time-saving tools to achieve this. I have a Facebook account which I find a joy because it allows me to peer into the lives of some of my nearest and dearest - even my own children - and keep abreast of what is important in their lives. I can comment on their activities, their recent photos, and their comments about other's comments. It also allows me a quick way to write a blurb about something I'm doing. I look forward to it at the end of my day.

E-mails allow me another convenient way to touch base with friends. I will use it when I have a question I'd like an immediate answer to, or to schedule a visit or pass on a bit of news that I can't wait to hear a reply about. I have to admit that it is also a convenient crutch; it's quick and doesn't require me leaving my desk to go to the post office.

When I can squeeze out an hour or so from all the regular duties of my day, I like nothing better than phoning someone to catch up on all our news together. It is a practice that I have revived with much enthusiasm recently, and have been rewarded in full measure. It isn't always easy to accomplish, however. I have to catch them in or I get an answering machine or no answer at all - everyone's life is complicated. And, living in the Midwest, I'm also a slave to time zones, so I have to plan carefully so I don't disturb at odd hours.

Of late, I have also renewed the practice of letter writing. Necessity dictates it in some cases as not all my friends have computers. Sitting at my secretary desk, with a blank page of beautiful stationery in front of me is a challenge I welcome. I don't worry about the proper phrase, or editing my thoughts (as I do when the work of writing is my concentration); I just write what I feel and pen the details about my life that I want to share. I simply picture the recipient of my words and talk to them as if we were face to face.

It is sad to me that today's communication with friends appears to be in cryptic text symbols only. Missing in this mechanical and nonpersonal exercise is not only the beauty of language but the giving of one's precious time to let another know how much you care. Yes, it takes minutes that could be spent in other ways. But opening a mailbox and finding a letter or card from a friend brings welcome light into a day. Answering a phone and hearing a familiar voice on the other end changes the atmosphere in a positive way.

I feel it's important to continue the conventional lines of communications with those we hold dear - in spite of the complicated and stressful lives we all lead. In fact, it's more important than ever because of the complicated and stressful lives we lead. Try it; you'll see what I mean. I promise this; the rewards are unending.

No comments:

Post a Comment