Saturday, March 20, 2010

Thoughts About Today

I awoke on this first day of Spring to tiny snowflakes falling, powdering the young blades of green grass, and the tulip buds that broke ground earlier this week.  First day of Spring?  Well, it is Chicago after all.

My thoughts today aren't really on the weather, though.  I've just completed the final revision on my father-in-law's eulogy.  My husband read the first draft and cried, so I guess I hit the right mark for it.  I hope Dad likes it.

This is our day to celebrate his life with our family and a few friends.  Dad's almost 90 years on this earth deserve such a celebration.  The words of my tribute today speak to that.  But this will be a hard day, too - a day to formally say goodbye.  This simple ceremony won't close the door to our emotions, though. 

We are all still coming to terms with our loss and it's hardest for R.J.  So, today we will find strength as a family, find strength in our faith, and strength from the comfort and condolence of friends.  But, having been through this parental loss myself, I do know what R.J. is feeling and I only hope my strength can continue to speak to his grief; a grief that lessens but never ends.

So, time to get ready to go to church.  I'm looking forward to letting Dad know how very much he meant to us all.  And, for those friends not here with us today, I know from all your kind words that you are here in spirit and that is treasured more than you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment