Friday, August 6, 2010

Friends And Birthdays

I keep notes on my kitchen calendar, on my study calendar, and in the planner I carry with me - all to remind me about birthdays and other special observances.  It's always been important to me to let a friend or family member be aware, on their particular day, that I am thinking about them and wishing them well.

Today, for example, my best friend is celebrating a birthday.  We live hundreds of miles apart, and, though we talk on the phone and through e-mails constantly, I've made sure to send her a card in the mail, as well as an e-mail message, and I'll call her later when she's home from work.

I know that she knows she is a unique and important person in my life.  With her, I never feel uncomfortable about revealing my innermost thoughts and ideas to her.  And I know she shares the same with me.  But our relationship is also one where we laugh - a lot - about so many of life's peculiarities (many of them in our own family life!)

Life today moves at a pace that overwhelms each and every one of us.  Right now, I'm dealing with that pace on a stress level that leaves me exhausted at times.  BUT!  I hope I never get so involved in the day-to-day distractions that I forget to mark a loved one's special day.  And I'd like to recommend this discipline.  Trust me; it's as rewarding to the giver as it is to the recipient.  And it puts your priorities in perspective - and that's always a good thing for me.

So, Holly, if you read this today, know that you've given me a gift today on your day.  Thanks - and I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment