Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Age Should Be Ageless

The often quoted line, "Age is only important if you're a cheese" is one that has always applied to me.  I have difficulty remembering my current age.  When someone asks, I have to pause and subtract my birth year from the current one before answering.

I may have broached this subject in my blog before but, if so, it bears repeating.  Too many mature people allow themselves to be defined by their birthdate.  Their habits, what they wear, read, watch and talk about all combine to present a human picture lacking in life.

Life: that's the keyword here.  I'm drinking my tea from a mug this morning that bears the saying, "Enjoy Life....this is not a dress rehearsal."  And it's true. I try to face each day with the attitude of someone who will never stop pursuing new things, engaging new people and making sure I keep myself healthy and active to permit me to go after whatever I can dream about.

My friends help in that regard because they are of all ages and level of pursuits.  Just a simple conversation with one of them can spur new ideas and adventures.  And I never think about the difference in age between me and them, whether they are twenty-something or eighty-something.  I just know I can learn, love and grow from all of them - and I do.

Admittedly, I don't have much patience with those of my own chronological time who refuse to engage in the current world and surround themselves with like-minded contemporaries.  To my mind, they just "exist" - and I have to ask: why would you want to do that?

I plan to keep at this for quite a few more decades, and I'm working to be sure my body and brain are up to the challenges.  And to anyone, of any age, I recommend you do the same.  It's a great ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment